- 1 loaf French or Italian bread
- 4-oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam or jelly
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- maple syrup, for serving
- Place diced strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar to allow the juices to come out. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice bread into 2-inch thick slices. (You should get between 6 and 8 slices.)
- Cut a slit in each of the thick slices, making a pocket in which to put the filling.
- For the filling, combine softened cream cheese with strawberry jam and sugared strawberries.
- Place a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture into each bread pocket, spreading it to the corners.
- For the coating, combine eggs, milk, almond/vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a shallow bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Coat each side of the bread for about 5-10 seconds, until it has soaked up some of the egg mixture.
- Preheat a griddle to medium-high heat, and coat it with butter.
- Cook French toast 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup. **Leftovers taste great heated in a 400*F oven for 10-15 minutes.
Originally posted by Sara over at http://chiefmarkets.com/blog/2012/04/16/strawberry-cream-cheese-stuffed-french-toast/